Top Set Subject – Some Where Out There – John Thackeray
Top Junior – Almost Christmas – Jen Adam
Top Senior – Lady in black – Willie Henegan
The subject for the Maritzburg Camera Club – Westville Camera Club challenge for 2018 is:
Monochrome Conversion With Some Residual Colour
This challenge breaks with tradition to a certain extent in that a part of the requirements must be done in the course of post-processing. It was chosen so as to challenge participants to consider their images clearly so that they will be suitable for monochrome conversion but will also have to rely on colour to some extent. While the post-processing requirement is relatively simple, the residual colour must be used with some specific intention in mind. The subject of the image is open and may fit within any of the PSSA genres.
The rules are as follows:
- The images must be taken at some time between 1st November 2017 and 10th September 2018.
- The monochrome conversion may be to either black-and-white or to a single colour tint.
- The residual colour may either be in a single area or may be in a number of areas.
- The image area must be predominantly monochrome.
- Editing is allowed but must not be excessive. The following apply:
- Exposure, colour and tonal changes may be made.
- Lens corrections, sharpening, and cropping may be done.
- No merging or copying and pasting of multiple images, or parts of images, may be done other than in-camera multiple exposures, HDR, panoramas, and focus stacking.
- Erasing dust spots and limited cloning of blemishes may be done.
- Moving or copying and pasting significant elements of an image are not acceptable.
- Images may be flipped horizontally or vertically.
- Entries must be in the usual club HD format (Up to 1920 x 1080. Up to 2 Mb).
- Image files must have a title which is likely to be unique. Thus titles such as “Challenge 1” must NOT be used.
- Any image which does not comply with the above rules may be disqualified.
- End of year arrangements for the submission of images will be announced nearer the time.
While the subject matter is open, judges will be asked to consider the following points:
- Quality of the monochrome conversion. Tonality, Use of pure blacks, pure whites, textures of the subject matter.
- Quality of the residual colour areas. Saturation, clarity, tonality, etc.
- Manner in which the colour is used to create depth or to bring out the story of the image.
Top Junior – You Want What – John Thackeray
Top Set Subject- Bee delight – Di Wayne
Top Senior – Black winged Stilt – Howard Gillitt